Saturday, October 29, 2011

Roti Prata: The Filipino Way

If you've been to Singapore, I'm pretty sure you are familiar what Roti Prata is. But for the benefit of those who are not familiar, let me give you a brief introduction what Roti Prata is.



Roti Prata is a favorite Indian dish amongst Singaporeans. It is a pancake-like bread made up of egg, flour and water with a texture that's similar to that of a croissant. You can choose from various flavors, depending on your taste buds.


When we were still in Singapore, my brother and I usually bought instant packs of Onion & Chives Flavored Roti Paratha in Fair Price. It's cheaper than buying ready-to-eat Prata. It's easy to prepare, too. Allow me to share to you how I prepare it:

  1. Heat a spoon of butter in a non-stick pan, large enough for the Prata.
  2. Throw the Prata into the frying pan.
  3. When the first side is almost cooked, I make a "cross slice" at the middle and I add egg since I prefer it fluffy.
  4. Flip over and let it cook the other side.

If you want your Prata to be a little burnt, like mine, cook it for a few more minutes. I pair it with siomai or sausage. Oh, did I mention I add cheese for a flavorful meal? Yum!



Moving forward, my favorite Roti Prata in Singapore is located in Bugis Street. My brother introduced it to me few years back. When P and I went to Bugis one time, I let him taste it. Hahaha! Of course, he liked it! Whenever we go there, we make sure to drop by the Roti Prata house. It's relatively cheaper in Singapore than the one I saw here in the Philippines. In Singapore, my favorite blackpepper roti prata costs only $1.80, compared here in the Philippines, the price ranges from Php80.00-Php150.00, which when converted to Singapore dollar would cost $2.00-5.00.

Last October 21, 2011, the midnight before my IELTS exam in Pampanga, my family and I went to Midnight Mercato. To my surprise, I found a stall named Papa Roti where they sell Roti Prata.


Papa Roti has a stall in Midnight Mercato/Mercato Centrale.



I ordered their Mushroom & Cheese Roti for Php 110.00.



Overall, it was good. It tastes a bit different with that of Singapore's.


Savory or sweet, Roti Prata is definitely worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...